Friday, January 11, 2013

A Thank You to My Hubby

During pregnancy, so much focus is on mom and baby, that dad's often get a little overlooked in the whole process, even though they play just as important of a role and can have an extremely power influence on what pregnancy is like for the mom and therefore, the baby.  I thought it would be nice to talk about how wonderful my Hubby has been since I have been pregnant, because he is truly amazing.

Scott has always been the one to shoulder most of the burden of cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, taking care of the animals, etc etc.  While I have tried to get better at these things, during significant periods of my pregnancy I couldn't do anything.  Scott has balanced classes, homework, working full-time, doing all the house work, cooking all of our meals, doing all the grocery shopping, doing MY laundry, taking care of the animals, all while reassuring me that it's ok that I couldn't do these things, particularly in my first trimester.  I was so weak, sick, and missed a lot of work, which also put a strain on our budget, which Scott manages pretty much all on his own.  Despite all of this, when I was sobbing on the bathroom floor, convinced I was dying and couldn't handle being pregnant any longer, he squeezed into the pukey smelling bathroom with me, sat on the floor, and cuddled me while I cried.  Then he would say something silly to make me laugh, help me get laid back in bed, and bring me whatever I needed to be comfortable.  We chose not to tell anyone that we were pregnant until after the first trimester was over, so he was literally my only support.  I don't know if that overwhelmed him at all but he did such an amazing job and it was all that I needed to get through one of the most physically and emotionally challenging periods of my entire life.  

One thing pregnancy has not done for me is boosted my self-esteem.  When you feel gross and bloated everyday, on top of gaining weight, I have not always felt that great about myself.  Sometimes I am just down right disgusted.  It is terrifying to see your body going through changes that you have no control over, wondering if it is even possible for things to go back the way they were before.  Though I struggle with this on a daily basis, Scott has always made me feel like I am beautiful and that my body is doing exactly what it needs to to grow this human being inside of me.  I don't always feel pretty, but he always makes me feel like he thinks I am pretty, and that means a lot to an insecure and self-conscious woman.

Scott reminds me all the time about how strong I have been through my pregnancy.  He even rewarded me with a new Coach purse and matching wallet!!  But the truth is that every single time I ever felt overwhlemed, scared, confused, sad, mad, etc, the fact that he was always there supporting me gave me the only reassurance that I needed that everything would be fine.   There is no way this pregnancy would have been as smooth for me if it wasn't for him.  I have never once felt alone or unsupported.  And even though I know he can't understand perfectly everything I am going though, the fact that he tries his absolute best and always makes me and baby the priority has given me a sense of calm and peace.  He is such a strong man, inside and out.  He is a wonderful husband and is going to be an amazing father.  

I know that having a child will be amazing and yet terrifying and overwhelming at the same time.  But I really feel like Scott and I together can conquer anything in the world.  We aren't perfect, and we don't always know the right answers, but I know that I can depend on him every single time I need him.  We are truly a team.  I couldn't do any of this without him, and I could not imagine going through life with anyone but him.  There is no way that I can adequately express how wonderful Scott has been, but I can say that he has made all the difference for me during not just during pregnancy but even before that.  He is the center of my world and no matter what is going on in my life I know that I have my best friend to come home to and cuddle with, talk to about anything, and share all of life's ups and downs with.  Being pregnant has only given me a stronger appreciation for the man he has been all along.  There is no one else like him and I am so thankful and blessed everyday that he is mine.  I heart you my Scottypoo!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment